Thursday, May 17, 2007

Kids and Theology

I do on occasion listen to Christian music. I am also one of those guys who actually listens to the lyrics. The up side to Christian music is that it provides (for the most part) a better alternative to most secular music. That’s a good thing. The down side is that it is where kids today get about 90% of their theology. That’s a really, really bad thing.

A basic understanding of theology (Catholic of course) is needed for a person to really understand who they are, where they are, why they’re there, and what they should do. I’m not talking about a Summa level of understanding, but there is no reason kids of middle school (or younger) shouldn’t be encouraged/required to read the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. In short, our theology dictates how we live our life. Pretty important stuff.

Here are the winners in a few major categories of Christian music:

In the blatant-attack-on-Catholicism category, we have “Fields of Grace” by Big Daddy Weave:
“There's a place where religion finally dies”
So, according to Mr. Daddy Weave, there exists a place where we can finally throw the shackles of voluntary subjection of oneself to God off. Way to stick it to the man Big Daddy.


Under the Jesus-is-my-girlfriend category, we have the Katrinas’ Hold Me Close to You:
“Draw mw close to You,
Never let me go…
You are my desire
No one else will do
'Cause no one else can take Your place
To feel the warmth of Your embrace”
Wow. The whole idea of being drawn close and feeling the warmth of His embrace conjures up images that are awfully, oh, yucky.

And finally from the Did-I-miss-something category we have DC Talk’s “Jesus Freak”
“I saw a man with tat on his big fat belly
It wiggled around like marmalade jelly
It took me a while to catch what it said
Cause I had to match the rhythm
Of his belly with my head
jesus saves is what it raved in a typical tattoo green
He stood on a box in the middle of the city
And claimed he had a dream”
Huh?

My family will be spending a little more time with the radio off, and a little more time with the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church open this summer.

1 comment:

Deogratias said...

First of all, why would you expect sound theology from a guy named "Big Daddy"? Sounds like he ripped off John Lennon. Secondly, after reading the lyrics of the Katrina's song, I felt the urge to drive to a nearby parish and hug their resurucifix. Being adept at mortifications, I suppressed the notion to go anywhere, and just practiced liturgical dancing around the house.