1. What is a Men’s Group? What should one consist of? Bible study, theology, personal struggles, fun “manly” activities, none of these, all of these?
2. Ultimately what is their desired outcome (in non-abstract language please)?
3. How should the groups be put together? By age, life situation, meeting time convenience, focus of the group, randomly, or something else?
4. How often should they meet?
5. Everyone talks about the groups going “deep”, but what does that mean?
6. Should the groups be shuffled (how often?) or should they be kept static?
7. How do we attract new men? How do we keep old ones?
8. Should the groups be allowed to decide for themselves what direction to go (what book to be reading for instance), or should all groups be moving informally in the same direction?
9. Should the different groups meet as a whole, and if so how often? With Father?
I’m not sure the zeal that once surrounded the men’s groups is there right now. It may be the time of year, it may be changing situation for the guys, or it may just be a natural lull in the cyclical nature of some Men’s Group dynamic (not even sure what I just said there).
I would also love to see anyone out there who is involved in a Men’s or even Women’s group other than one from the St. Michael parish share any ideas (in the combox) of what has worked or is working for them.
But this time off will give us all a chance to think the questions above over and see if there are any areas that could be looked at and possibly changed.
Have a great Summer fellas!