Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Tough Night for Tobit.

Anyone make it to Mass today? Were you listening to the first reading (Tobit 2:9-14)? Wow. I'd love to hear anyone's exegesis on this baby:

"On the night of Pentecost, after I had buried the dead,I, Tobit, went into my courtyard to sleep next to the courtyard wall. My face was uncovered because of the heat. I did not know there were birds perched on the wall above me, till their warm droppings settled in my eyes, causing cataracts."
Hmmm. Was there really a need to include the "warm" part?

1 comment:

Deogratias said...

The NAB can be very "earthy". The RSV omits the warm part.

As far as exegesis, here is my take:

Sometimes, when you perform corporal works of mercy like Tobit did; bury the dead, clothe the naked, give alms to the poor- you still might get pooped on.

Or it is advice missing in Wisdom literature, telling us not to fall asleep below a sparrows perch.