Friday, July 27, 2007

Rick Santorum

I never knew a lot about who Senator Rick Santorum was. I knew he was a senator from the west coast (Pennsylvania) who was pro-life, and while I didn't know this, I wouldn't had fallen off my chair if someone would have told me he was Catholic.

Last weekend, while loading my iPod with material for my daily commute for the upcoming week, I ran across a group of mp3 files over at Fr. John Ricardo's website from a Men's conference in 2006. Fr. John is a priest from Michigan and host on the Ave Maria radio station.

Most of the talks were OK (some weren't my kind of "preaching", but to each their own), the sort of stuff you usually hear at Men's conferences. Expecting it to be the least interesting talk of the group, I saved the talk by the former senator for last. In fact, I almost didn't listen to it at all. That would have been a big mistake.

It's a great talk. It's the story of his becoming involved in the pro-life fight, his deepening in the faith, and the growth of his own family. All three events occurred at the same time, ... imagine that. An amazing talk; interesting, sincere, powerful, and had me a little choked up - but just a little. Set some time aside when you get a chance and listen to it. Pay especially close attention about 29 minutes into it - it's a great story.

Mr. Santorum is a class act and someone who has earned the right to speak at a men's conference.

"When you stand up, when you stand up, people will stand against you. And that's something you have to be prepared for and you got to just accept it and welcome it as something you've got to do to speak truth in our society." - Rick Santorum



Click on the Play button to Listen Now

Here are the links to all the talks for those who are interested:

Bishop John Quinn

Peter Herbeck

Rick Santorum

Alex Jones

Fr. John Ricardo

1 comment:

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

I was first tuned into Senator Santorum when he and his wife were being interviewed on World Over with Raymond Arroyo a number of years ago. What an interview! I was so impressed by his realistic and truthful way of speaking about his life, family, and his beliefs. I always had a secret wish that he would try for pres. but I knew, deep down, that that would never happen. He's too pro-life, too Catholic, has too many kids, is too honest, and speaks too well. Hmmm, dangit.