Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Vocation God Gave Me

I have been reading a book during my weekly adoration time and last night it really got me thinking. I am a homemaker and often my jobs seem boring, unfruitful, and repetitive. I love being a wife and mother, I truly do, but I sometimes wonder if there is something else I should be doing for God.

As I was reading, the author was talking about the vocation that God has called each of us to. I know that I am called to be a wife and a mother, there is no doubt in my mind about that, but she took it one step further. She said that in our vocation, we are to study our vocation and really immerse ourselves in what God has called us to do. Study not only by reading books on our particular vocation, but really praying that God would guide us to do and say what he wants us to do.

When I am doing the day to day jobs and telling the kids over and over (and over) what to do and what not to do, it is sometimes hard to find God in that, but that is where I am to find Him. It is what He has called me to do.

The book I’m reading is called, A Mother's Rule of Life: How to Bring Order to Your Home and Peace to Your Soul by Holly Pierlot. I would recommend this book to any woman out there, especially mothers.
I am curious to hear how any of you "study" your vocation.
"Seek to love more than to be loved, to understand more than to be understood, to serve more than to be served." - Mother Theresa

2 comments:

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Good words of advice from Mother Theresa! I read that book a while ago and I did like some of the ideas that she had. I feel like she did in the beginning sometimes but I can't implement her whole program because of the little glitch of a hubs who isn't totally with the program as far as the faith goes. Also, I don't follow any of those "organize your life/self help" books and programs because even though they may be helpful in degrees, everyone is different with different family dynamics, etc. so I just find that they take up (ironically) too much time and end up being frustrating or proport to be the "big answer" when everyone kind of needs to find their own answer (guided by the Church, and the Holy Spirit of course!) So I just trudge along with the crosses and try to carry them gracefully, without tripping on anyone's toes and keep praying that hubs will find the will someday to strenghten his faith and his curiosity about the faith. I know that with the power of God, anything is possible and I struggle every day to know what He wills for our lives but I am learning to do it more joyfully with every day. THAT is God answering a HUGE prayer that I think is one step closer to Him! Even in my blogging (mundane some days and a distraction others) I find ways to get closer to God and to find the answers that have been niggling me in the back of my mind! I "study my vocation" in prayer and usually reflection at the end of the day with promises of making the next day ever better with service, kindness, and faith (it doesn't always work, but it keeps me on my toes!).

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

...oh yeah, and YAY for me not being the only chick here!