Thursday, August 9, 2007

Books!

Has anyone read, or is anyone reading any good books? Here are a few I have read:


Good News, Bad News: Evangelization, Conversion and the Crisis of Faith
This book is pretty good. It’s fairly short and easy to read. It goes over evangelization (real evangelization – in my humble opinion). I only really had two complaints about the book. First is that I had read a lot of Fr. McCloskey’s material off the Internet in the form of papers and articles, and much of the material in the book is built from it. Second, I was hoping the book was going to be a little “deeper”. Being that it was light and easy to read was a plus in some ways, but it’s just not exactly what I was hoping for. Interesting but light.
3.25 out of 5 stars


The Jews in the Time of Jesus
Every once in a great while I will find a book that is exactly what I’m looking for. When I bought this book, I had a feeling that I would like it, but I didn’t expect to enjoy it as much as I had. I’ve always believed that if you want to understand the Gospel of Matthew and especially Paul you need to have a good understanding of first century Judaism and in particular Pharisadic Judaism. I know, it may sound dry and boring but it’s so not! If you are looking for a book on this topic and would like one that is interesting, understandable, and affordable - grab it.
4.5 out of 5 stars


Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
I read the first Harry Potter book and thought … I’d wait to write a whole post on it. Sorry!

3 comments:

Deogratias said...

Sorry Serviam, I have not had the pleasure of reading either of those books. I got about half way through Jesus of Nazareth when my formation director e-mailed me a "optional summer reading list", which made me set down the Holy Fathers book for awhile. The list includes light reading such as Lumen Gentium from VII, the intro in the Lectionary, Dei Verbum from VII, all four Gospels (with outlines), and the CCC, especially the sections from 101 to 975. Unlike you, I have not memorized all these readings yet.

By the by, since I read you were reading the Harry Potter series, my spiritual director was kind enough to give me the cell phone numbers of the two exorcists in the Archdiocese. They stand at the ready for you, just a phone call away.

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

I just finished the 7th HP book (only took me about 3 days, I wasn't feeling very good so it gave me an excuse to just sit and read) and thought it was just fine. It rounded out the series and ended things nicely. Definitely meant for over the age of 12 or a mature child who can discuss the subjects in the book intelligently.

I am reading A Time For Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge (I love true war stories and learning all about the strategies of war).

My lighter, bathroom reading is A New Song for the Lord By Pope Benedict XVI. I kid. It's not light at ALL. It takes me about an hour to read 3 pages. That guy is a flippin genius and he thinks about things so deeply that it's difficult to imagine how he gets through the day with all those thoughts bumping around in there. It makes me wonder if he needs someone to remind him to put his socks on one foot at a time, or to brush after every meal.

Another book I read in the bathtub is Poland By James A Michener (it's taking me a while, I don't get to take nice, long baths very often!). I try to read at least one of his books every 3 years or so. He's just a really great novelist (and I love the history he adds to every book). I haven't gotten to the modern times in this novel, however, it seems he (the author) had consulted at length with Pope JPII when he was Bishop of Krakow so it will be interesting to see if he mentioned some of the really profound things that Pope JP did to help end communism in Poland.

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am reading Mass Confusion by Jimmy Akin. I'm almost done with that one and it was really interesting. I never knew that there was no hard and fast "rule" about how long we should kneel after communion. I looked it up for myself and now I don't feel so bad if I sit (after a little time of reflection) while Father "does the dishes" and I can reflect a little better while sitting because I usually have a little one who needs a lap!. There are a lot of other things about the liturgy that I found pretty interesting and will study further as they come up in the liturgy committee all of the time!