Monday, August 20, 2007

Christmas in August – Dr. Hahn’s Dissertation

Taylor Marshall, over at one of my favorite blogs Canterbury Tales has been reading through and giving some thoughts and observations (very interesting) on Dr. Scott Hahn’s doctoral thesis, Kinship by Covenant: A Biblical Study of Covenant Types and Texts in the Old and New Testaments. Interested in reading it myself, I was surprised and disappointed that you could not buy a copy of the text.

Well today, Taylor has posted a link to the entire theses in a PDF format on his site! If you’re interested and feeling a little ambitious – the file is 760 pages long and the bibliography is longer than many books in print – swing over and check it out. I’m about to head out on a week long trek to Canada, so this came at a very opportune time.

Dr. Hahn has his share of fans and detractors, but I think everyone would agree that he has had a lot to do with the shaping of Catholic thinking over that last 10 – 15 years and will for many more to come.

2 comments:

swissmiss said...

I know Scott Hahn has supporters and detractors, and I have never really read any of his books, just seen him on TV. Although some of the things I have heard he proposes, like the Holy Spirit being the female component of the Trinity, are way out in left field, he has done a lot of good for the Church. Many of the Church fathers didn't get it right all of the time. I guess my problem is that I get the impression he feels the need to be new and fresh with his thoughts, which seem to be the ones getting him into trouble. Nowadays, he is able to "stand on the shoulders of giants," but doesn't seem to have a clearer view of some things. However, I know several people who have been his students and they have nothing but great things to say about him.

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

I echo swissmiss. He has a way of presenting complicated theological concepts to the dummies (like me) or the newbies in a way that's easy to understand. But I DON'T particularly like the way some people have made him some sort of Catholic Guru who can say/do no wrong. Anyway, I'm glad he's on OUR team!