Thursday, August 30, 2007

Origins of Life

I’ve recently noticed a trend in some circles of Christianity to call into question (really attack) the theory (some may say hypothesis) of evolution. I don't hink this much attention has been given to this topic since the Scopes Monkey Trial.

A few weeks ago, while talking with a good friend, I asked him what he thought of it. Being that my friend has some pretty hefty credentials in the area of science, I was interested to hear what he had to say. We talked about it for a while, and left it at that.

I work with a guy who was hired by my company as a contractor. He’s a good guy and we get along well. I’ve noticed in the past that at lunch he reads a small bible. No doubt he knows I’m Catholic, everyone here knows that, and it comes up occasionally in conversations with another person we work with.

OK, so a strange thing happened a couple of days ago. The guy I worked with asked me how old my kids were. I told him, and he gave me a book titled, “Evolution Exposed”. The book goes over the idea of evolution and makes a case against it.

I’m actually familiar with the author Roger Patterson, and the website/ministry (not Catholic) Answers In Genesis that published the book Answers in Genesis. I also know that they hold Young-Earth Creationist views, but some of the information that they put forth is interesting and deserving of discussion.

Personally, I’ve always had a hard time accepting a Darwinian form of evolution. A single simple cell forms and gives rise to countless highly complex organisms with huge number of cells over time? Now I do believe in things like natural selection and speciation, they are only a part of Darwinian evolution. Where these ideas can explain where we get wolves, dogs and foxes, can they really explain how a spider began spinning webs? At the same time, I don’t believe that the Earth was created in 6 days a little over 6,000 years ago.

I think it’s important for people to understand that by arguing that evolution is flawed doesn’t necessarily mean that you hold the Young-Earth Creationist view. The real answer may be a combination of the two or another completely different method.

While my faith wouldn't be shook in the least whatever the answer is, I guess currently I’m a pretty solid Intelligent Design guy. I believe that it is acceptable for Catholics to hold any of the three as long as God’s involvement is acknowledged (someone please correct me if I’m wrong here).

So, where do you guys sit on the Creation/Intelligent Design/Evolution/Whatever fence?

(*And yes, I know we may never know the real answer, and I'm OK with that too.*)

1 comment:

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

I tend toward the ID concept but I always wonder why it matters at all? If the creation of the world happend hundreds of thousands of years ago, or millions and billions of years ago and we did "evolve" from dust...oh, it boggles my tiny, little mind and then I go back to what really matters which is how to make my life here on earth, in THIS day and age glorify God. It is all fun to think about, but we can NEVER KNOW for sure until/unless we face God and ask Him ourselves! I think its funny how science always proports to have the answers when 99 percent of science is theory. We are often wrong or change our theories over time. Heck, even the theory of evolution evolves! If I was a scientist, I would probably go mad if I had no faith of any sort. In fact, I don't think one could BE a scientist if one didn't have faith that there are some things that are out of our control and that there are some questions that will just never be answered. It's really kind of easier to believe that there is a God and that He knows best for us. When an objective truth is "discovered" it is really a beautiful thing, but that truth still has some unanswered questions behind it that will only be answered by God. And that's the truth.