Friday, August 24, 2007

A Side Of Her We Never Knew

Wow. This is really something. I can't comment to any great extent because I feel like the whole thing was a huge invasion of privacy to her. I do see that it will only strengthen most who believed she was and is a saint in Heaven to remain faithful even in the face of spiritual dryness and encourage us to help the poor and downtrodden even if it means that the more we see Jesus in each other, the less we may see the actual Jesus working in our lives or hear his voice.

Isn't that what he wanted? That we be Jesus to each other?

I don't care what that Christopher Hitchens says, that lady had such a deep faith, like the Amazonian jungle natives who have never been introduced to Christ...it's just that she didn't know it. That doesn't mean she couldn't end up in Heaven, or that Jesus lost love for her, or really doesn't exist!

P.S. I just published a post under the one about Scott Hahn that I had drafted a few days ago. If you want to check it out scroll down a little.

4 comments:

Joshua 24:15 said...

I agree with you!

And, I hope that dryness, doubt, feared hypocrisy, distraction, darkenss and my sin doesn't prevent me from eventually seeing Heaven!

Serviam! said...

What?!?! Blessed Teresa of Calcutta was ... human?

And to anyone who claims to never have questioned or has never found it hard to believe I can only say wait, it's coming.

Faith exists on a level above our emotions. Faith, like anything else, can only grow strong with the presence of conflict.

And I have to agree with Laura, this seems to me to be a huge invasion of privacy.

Here's an interesting quote from a certain someone who has proven pretty influential in the area of faith:

"And about three o'clock Jesus cried out in a loud voice, 'Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?' which means, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?'" (Mt 27:46)

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

I know, I almost cried when I read about this. We really all DO go through this same thing (in varying degrees) at some point. It seems like the closer I get to "figuring it all out", the more distant I am from God. When I first started to be interested in the truth, I got struck on all sides by the forces of doubt and went into a VERY dry period. It's not a nice place. I feel very sorry for Mother Teresa because I can empathize. Maybe that's the good that keeping her letters has done? I don't know. If Father ever splashed some of my emails to him in the headlines of the Crow River News about this very same subject, I would feel extremely violated!

swissmiss said...

I don't know why the secular media even attempts to describe what Blessed Mother Teresa endured in her Dark Night. Hitchens completely misses the point (hey, wouldn't be the first time) and calls this proof of her lack of faith, or proof that she didn't believe in God, or that God doesn't exist, or whatever. It is just the opposite. Perservering through this is almost the definition of faith. What an example Blessed Teresa is.

For a good post on the topic, go to wardwideweb.blogspot.com and scroll down for the entry
"Have I mentioned how much I love this priest?" I believe it's one of her Saturday, Sept 14th entries. She posts "letter" to Father-Know-It-All and his replies. Very good read.