Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Golden Compass

I’ve wanted to post on this for close to a month, but just never got around to it. Thomas Peters over at American Papist had in interesting post a while back about the new movie starring Nicole Kidman called The Golden Compass. Below is the extended trailor for the movie. The post also points to story over at CathNews:

Nicole Kidman has denied that a new film she's making is anti-Catholic. The movie features an organisation known as "The Magisterium", which kidnaps children to remove their souls.

The Brisbane Times reports that Kidman told a US magazine that her Catholic faith affected her consideration of the script for the film, which is titled The Golden Compass.

The fantasy film is based on a novel by Philip Pullman called Northern Lights. It is already attracting attention in the US for avoiding much of the book's perceived anti-Catholic rhetoric.

Kidman said some of the religious elements were removed from the movie script.

Kidman told the magazine: "I was raised Catholic, the Catholic Church is part of my essence."

"I wouldn't be able to do this film if I thought it were at all anti-Catholic."

The Golden Compass is due for release in the US on 7 December.




Thoughts?




Side Note:

I’ve been getting a few questions about where I’ve been lately, and why I haven’t posted. All can rest assured that I am still alive, am not experiencing a religious/emotional/relational trial, and am not having trouble with my computer or server.

I have been feverishly working on a project I need to finish. Every bit of free time I’ve had has been taken by it, and I can’t wait until it’s done! I’m hoping it won’t take more than another week, maybe sooner.

3 comments:

fertlmertl said...

Haven't read the books, haven't even read much about the books but the evil "Magesterium" had me curious so I did some quick searches and here is the result of one such search. My gut (and the trailer) tells me I would stay away from this guy and his books/movies/interviews. As for Nicole Kidman "Mrs. Coulter" in the movie, well, do we really need to comment on her commentary? Hollywood. Ug.

http://www.ratzingerfanclub.com/blog/2004/06/discussing-philip-pullman.html

swissmiss said...

Nicole Kidman had a beautiful Catholic wedding (the second time around) but it appears that her Catholicism stops there.

Anonymous said...

I would say that Ms Kidman didn't bother reading or learning about the entire series before she signed on the dotted line and colleted her nice little multi-million dollar paycheck. How is she going to be able to explain the 3rd movie/book? If they "water it down", there won't be much of a movie. But considering that Pullman has been quoted as saying he always invisioned Kidman as Mrs Coultier, that doesn't say much for her.