Thursday, November 15, 2007

Bella: a new controversy??

READERS: THE REST OF POST INCLUDES DISCUSSION OF THE MOVIE'S ENDING SO BE WARNED FOR THIS SEMI-SPOILER.

Okay folks, I'm looking for a vote here on the ending to the movie. Here's the controversy I'm trying to start:
Did Jose adopt Nina's daughter (Bella), and then reunite Nina and Bella four years later?

OR

Did Jose, after convincing Nina to keep the child and put her up for adoption, find the adopting couple a few years later and arrange a meeting?

Now, I invite you to give me your opinion and reasons why, but PLEASE DO NOT LOOK UP ANY COMMENTARY OR INFO ON THE WEB-- I JUST WANT YOUR OWN OPINION BASED ON YOUR VIEWING OF THE MOVIE...

A couple of pros and cons: Jose whispered something to his brother Manny, who responds "you're going to WHAT?" Did Jose say he was going to adopt Nina's child? That's certainly a logical and obvious assumption. But if that's the case then why would Jose and Nina wait four years before reuniting mother and child? And wasn't the little girl on the beach at the beginning of the movie Bella, running around with other girls as Jose watched them, until her "father" (I daresay an older man with his older wife) called for her? Could that have been Bella's adopted father and mother?

I haven't looked up any info and I won't until I get some opinions logged in. Looking forward to some honest discussion. Maybe we can reignite interest in the movie since I understand it's not doing well. Thanks!

5 comments:

Serviam! said...

It was my understanding that Jose adopted Bella, with the most compelling evidence being what he said to his brother - who was also, remember, adopted.

While we were leaving the movie, Mrs. Serviam! noted to me that in the last scene, where the three of them walked toward the ocean, that there wasn't a wedding ring to be found. Guess that's something a woman notices?

And in the beginning, when the father called to the girls, I remember noticing that the other two girls ran off toward him while Bella stopped and looked up at Jose (foreshadowing?).

As far as waiting four years to reunite the two, I'm guessing that Jose was waiting until Nina was ready.

Maybe you should think about writing a book with the title, "The Bella Code" exposing the story's true, but hidden meaning?

Joshua 24:15 said...

Perhaps... nevertheless, I thought it was a pretty good movie. It certainly presented some good family-oriented and Catholic messages.

fertlmertl said...

Hey guys,
I guess we (me and the sistas) thought that he had adopted her and reunitd them later same reason as Serviam thought--when she was ready. I really thought at the end that Bella said "daddy" or "dad" or "father' to Jose. But it wasn't entirely clear as I did have to ask my sis what the little girl said.

We liked it but the close up jiggly camera in the beginning almost made me lose my dinner--however I tend to get motion sickness easily so what do I know?

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Oh how funny! I just assumed that he adopted her (because I thought she called him "daddy" on the beach) and then re-united with the mother four years later. She says "sorry" so I thought maybe she was sorry that she had "given her up" and was gone for a number of years thinking about her life and feeling guilty/sad/scared for not checking up on Bella. At first, I thought he was telling his brother something like "I'm going to marry her" or something, then I just guessed that he must have told him that he was going to convince her to keep the child and would adopt it if he could. Now, I'm going to read what everybody else thought! Check out my blog for my untainted review right after we saw it!

Joshua 24:15 said...

Well, I guess it's Ladies 4, Joshua 1!...sorry Serviam! :)

How could a single, (virtually) unemployed, ex-convict who has a manslaughter rap for killing a kid, possibly be legally allowed to adopt an infant???

Just a thought... I feel the score starting to shift....