Friday, January 18, 2008

Medjugorje Visionary to Visit St. Michael Catholic Chruch

On January 24th, St. Michael Catholic Church will be hosting an event that some may be interested in attending. Below is some information from the Parish bulletin, and some more from another website.

Here is some information from the Parish bulletin:


Ivan Dragicevic, one of the six visionaries from Medjugorje, will be speaking at St Michael Catholic Church on Thursday, January 24th.

The schedule is the following:
6:00 p.m. begin Rosary;
6:40 p.m. Ivan has an apparition (Our Lady has come to him every day since 1981 at 6:40 p.m.); pray the Magnificat and finish the Rosary;
7:00 p.m. Mass;
8:00 p.m. Ivan speaks to the congregation.

The Blessed Virgin Mary usually appears to Ivan anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes, as she did in Lourdes to St. Bernadette and also to the children in Fatima. During his presentation at 8:00 p.m. Ivan will share with us words from the apparition that evening, as well as the general message of Medjugorje: e.g., he will be speaking about going to Mass and how important that is for us; why it is important to read the Bible, etc.

He will explain how it was when he was a child, what his family was like and what happened on the 24th of June 1981, when he along with five other children, saw the Blessed Virgin Mary on the hill for the first time. Over the last 25 years, more than 40,000,000 pilgrims have gone to Medjugorje. More than 6,000 young men who visited Medjugorje have gone on to become priests and about the same number of young women have become sisters. The fruits of Medjugorje seem to be really fantastic for the Church. I encourage all parishioners interested to consider attending the event on the 24th. No doubt the church will be full, so plan to arrive early.



And here is some more information from another website:


Ivan Dragicevic - Ivan was born on May 25th, 1965 in Bijakovici. He is the oldest of three children in his family.

Our Lady has appeared to Ivan every day since June 24, 1981, and has, to date, confided nine secrets. Ivan married in 1994 and has three beautiful children. His family resides half the year in Medjugorje and the other half in the US.

Ivan: "The apparitions have made a big difference in my life - the difference between heaven and earth. For example, I arrange my day now so that even during the day I find time to pray. Before, my life had no meaning. Now, I'm filled with inner contentment. The first time I saw Our Lady, a change occurred in my soul, and in my heart. Before, I often avoided prayer, but now the difference is so great, I really can't describe it. I'm no longer sorry that Our Lady revealed my future. I'm confident and not afraid, because I know who leads me, and therefore, I'm not afraid of death. People in our parish, and all people, should feel that way."

Ivan and his family spend May-September in Medjugorje and the rest of the year in the US spreading Our Lady's messages in parishes around the country.

Directions to the Church can be found here.

2 comments:

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

You posted this one to draw me out, didn't you? Stinker! Here is a quote from Jimmy Akin's site under the comments section (by him) re: Medjugorje:

"As Bishop Zanic pondered on his deathbed - paraphrased: "I could never understand how so much disquiet could come about in a diocese where the Queen of Peace allegedly appears.""

Here's a link to a post with extensive links re the Bishop Peric's statement on the authenticity of the Medjugorje "messages/apparitions":

http://te-deum.blogspot.com/2006/07/homily-of-bishop-ratko-peric-of.html
I am aware that a person could find a billion things online about Medjugorje for/against, but when I was about 13 my mom told me about Medjugorje and gave me a book about it (around the time of the beginnings of the aparitions...or at least the spread of the info about them). I read it and told her that it was untrue and that I didn't believe a word of it. I heard about it through the years and would just laugh at the thought that people could believe such nonsense (my dad read a book about Fatima to us when we were really little and I just ate it up, so it's not like I didn't believe Mary could appear, I just didn't buy the story about Medj.!).
If the church doesn't approve and if the local bishop(s) even says that the people involved are being disobedient...I would stay FAR away from that visit at St. Michael(and I will!) lest we give the impression that the church approves these "apparitions" in ANY way!

About the whole "good fruit" issue? I was in FAMILIA for the four year program and that is a branch of the tree of Regnum Christi which was founded by a...well, if you know the story...Anyway, I enjoyed it to some degree but it didn't change my faith in any way other than to suspect that Regnum Christi was trying to recruit more members through it. Funny thing, FAMILIA was all about promoting a stupid book called "How to Change Your Husband". I read it, thinking (correctly) that it would be about changing my attitude toward my husband (and it did, to some extent...but so did a lot of prayer and time before the blessed sacrament) but after reading it a second time (during adoration), I realized the errors in it were humongous and very distructive in many ways. It was written by the oh-so-illustrious writer "A Friend of Medjugorje". Cowards.
Sorry I ranted. I know many, devout, good Catholics that absolutely believe that Mary is appearing in Medj. and that it is just the bees knees. I do not. I still love those people with all my heart.

Kenneth said...

Hi Laura, I'm not criticizing your post in any way, but I would like to ask a favor. I won't hold my breath, as I ran across your comment today, about 15 months after you made it! By coincidence, I spent about 30 minutes today skimming the "husband" book today. I am far from an authority on Catholic dogma, but I found the message fascinating and can't recall anything in it contrary to dogma. Since I liked it so much, I will definitely read it, but I'd like to do so with an awareness of the major deviations it contains. Would it be possible for you to mention the top 2-3 worst offenses you found in the book? It may be that, with a careful reading, I'll discover them on my own, but I'd appreciate your input greatly. Thanks very much.