Friday, January 25, 2008

Our Father's Desire? To Be Ours.

“But to those who did accept him he gave power to become children of God, …”
John 1:12a

My two-year-old daughter Sarah is never so happy as when I am holding her. She has a very strong attachment to her “Daddy”. If I have some candy or a gift for her, even better, but it’s not what drives her. And while I do read her stories and play with her, she is completely content just sitting on my lap, being with her father. Little kids have the wonderful ability to appreciate just being in their father’s presence.

It’s this child-like quality of desiring to be with our father, to enjoy and appreciate who he is more than what he gives, that we should strive for in our own spiritual lives. To place ourselves in His presence, content having nothing more than the love of a Father who could give nothing less; never wanting to leave. Through baptism He has given us the power to become His children, and His desire is to be ours.

As my daughter gets older and her desire to be constantly with her earthly father fades, I pray that desire to be with her heavenly Father remains.

2 comments:

J. Thorp said...

Well said, Serviam! Nice job.

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

I've always had a hard time imagining what it will be like to be brothers and sisters in Heaven instead of me having to be the "boss of them". YOU are such a good example of the Heavenly Father's love, how can she help but to always desire His love?

Sweet.