Thursday, February 14, 2008

Amazing Recovery

Many of you many have already heard of this story-- a woman was declared brain dead after a brain aneurism, and her family eventually decided to take her home to die. But, the woman suddenly "awoke" and is now doing fine.

I think there are a couple of messages in this story.

One, hope is a good thing. "Miracles" do happen sometimes. If I understand the terminology correctly, "brain dead" means no brain function, no basic processes such as breathing, and no chance of recovery; this woman was kept alive with at least a breathing tube. So her recovery seems extraordinary.

Second, the aspect of the story that really piqued me as a Catholic: so much of the secular, modern world races us toward death. "No hope, time to pull the plug," was the message. This woman's family relented and agreed. Of course the Church does not require extraordinary means to keep one alive, so I suppose taking her off life support would be deemed permissible, as long as food and water was not removed.

I guess my thought here is that, as tough as these situations are, we should do what we can to follow the Church's holistic position on the sanctity of life.

Your thoughts?


http://www.startribune.com/local/east/15545747.html

1 comment:

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

How funny! I was just thinking about this and found an entry on Jill Stanek's pro-life blog that had a ton of links to people who recovered in some way from "brain death". I am going to do a post about is but here is a link to that story about the MN woman:
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=498009

I say, keep me around as LONG as possible because I KNOW I'm not ready!!!!!