Thursday, October 23, 2008

First and Second Things

"To sacrifice the greater good for the less and then not to get the lesser good after all–that is the surprising folly. . . Every preference of a small good to a great, or a partial good to a total good, involves the loss of the small or partial good for which the sacrifice was made. Apparently the world is made that way. If Esau really got his pottage in return for his birthright, then Esau was a lucky exception. You can’t get second things by putting them first; you can get second things only by putting first things first."

- From C.S. Lewis' 1942 essay "First and Second Things."

I found this C.S. Lewis (one of my favorites) quote over at First Things and I encourage everyone to take a trip over to Sonitus Sanctus to list to Peter Kreeft (another of my favorites) discuss the topic.

I think it's likely that any argument on the life issue is a result of differing views on what should be considered first things, and what should be considered second.

3 comments:

Germanicus said...

Another of Lewis' favorite topics was the question of who ought to decide what those first things are. If you can decide then why can't I? Hmmm, but now we have two first things. Oh well at least we tried. I wonder if Al Sharpton will really be dancing with the stars next season...

J. Thorp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J. Thorp said...

Germanicus wrote: "Another of Lewis' favorite topics was the question of who ought to decide what those first things are."

Why am I not surprised? : ) I vote me!