Thursday, January 22, 2009

SSPX - Excommunication Lifted?!?!

From: http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/
All signs now seem to indicate that the removal, withdrawal, or annulment of the excommunications of Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre (+ 1991), Bishop Antonio de Castro Mayer (+ 1991), and of the four Bishops consecrated by them for the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Pius X (FSSPX / SSPX) in EcĂ´ne, Switzerland, on June 30, 1988 is imminent. The Papal act on the matter has almost certainly been signed, and it will be made public shortly

Wow, I really hope this is true. IF this is true, things could really get interesting. Would lifting the excommunications and incorporation of the SSPX back into the Church mark a "correction" in the direction the Church has moved since Vatican II?

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

I felt like going to an SSPX church today to celebrate, but then I read Fr. Z (What Does The Prayer Really Say) and read more details about what this all means. I think it points toward more unity. I am excited about the things happening in the world Church today!

Joshua 24:15 said...

From reading through some of the material in your link, it sounds like yes this could be B16 pulling us back to the "right." I like the strategy.

I don't know a lot about SSPX, so bear with me. In the material linked, Bishop Williamson makes it sound like he's doing the Holy Father a favor by "letting" him reach out to SSPX. Bottom line is they placed themselves outside of communion with the Church, regardless of whether we like some of their positions vis a vis Vatican II. Some comments I've read that are attributed to SSPX members regarding Rome are, uh, "uncharitable" to say the least. It's unclear what level of
contrition exists.

And then there are the holocaust comments of Williamson... say what??

I'm glad when anyone (or group) makes it back to the Church. I assume Williamson and I will spend some time in purgatory together: I will need a ton of purgation, and at the very least the Bishop will come out of purgatory no longer an ass...