Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Fr. Marcial Maciel - Lived a Double Life

"But there is another vital reason to correctly name evil: the healing of its victims. The fact of the matter is that evil is one of the most difficult things to cope with." - Screwtape

From the New York Times:
The Legionaries of Christ, an influential Roman Catholic religious order, have been shaken by new revelations that their founder, who died a year ago, had an affair with a woman and fathered a daughter just as he and his thriving conservative order were winning the acclaim of Pope John Paul II.
Unfortunately the phrase "where there's smoke, there's fire" is often true. I can imagine how hard it must be for those involved with the Legionaries right now. The NCregister is also reporting on the matter.

Lot's that could be said, but none of it's necessary.

Keep the Legionaries of Christ and Regnum Christi in your prayers. They'll be traveling along a bumpy - but I think necessary - road for a season.

"We are serene. Certainly, it is a time of great trial for us and in the face of this there is great suffering"
- Father Paolo Scarafoni, spokesman at the Legionaries’ headquarters in Rome

4 comments:

Joshua 24:15 said...

OK, I honestly put up my post re Michael Phelps before I saw this one. Related topic, I guess: how might people be shaken when their leader or hero fails them?

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Well, I know a fair amount of RC peeps and they never seemed to believe all the other accusations against Fr. Maciel so I doubt this will change their worshi...I mean, their RESPECT for him.

Some people are not shaken at all. Look at Jonestown.
Don't

Drink

The Kool-ade

Jessica said...

Thanks for your prayers. There is hurt to deal with, but for most of us RC, we were never in RC for Fr. Maciel, we were and are in it for Christ. So while it is sad news, it doesn't shake us. Our eyes are focused on serving and loving Christ and His Church.

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

Jessica's comment reminds me of a question I've always had...
Why would one NEED a personal prelature to fulfill their desire to "serve and love Christ and His Church"? What's the point, other than to belong to a club? I am honestly asking. I'm not trying to be a smarty pants. I just don't see why you would need to reach beyond your own parish and your own neighbors (unless your own parish is horrible, that can happen, I suppose). It seems like the only thing that follows personal prelatures is scandal relating to money, sex and secrecy. I was invited to check out RC but always felt like it was a cult so I said no thanks. I didn't see how reading Fr. Maciel's autobiographies/writings and promising to say certain prayers every day was really going to help me be a better person and Catholic? I also have a HUGE problem with the pressure to send the sons to prep schools in the hopes that they become priests. I just don't trust a bunch of strange men and boys with my sons. I don't care HOW great, and wonderful, and well intentioned some of the men are, there are really bad apples in every barrel and I would never feed my sons to the wolves like that. It was also fishy a couple of years ago that the archdiocese sent the RC people packing out of their parishes (our FAMILIA group could no longer meet on parish grounds). That got me wondering what was WRONG with them.