Saturday, March 7, 2009

Do You Believe?

I've heard it said that the greatest deception that Satan perpetrates on humanity, is convincing it that he does not exist.

I think God's greatest Truth, and perhaps His greatest challenge, is convincing us that He DOES exist, in the Eucharist.

A Fox News poll reported in 2004 that 71% of Americans believe in "the devil." I guess that's not so bad considering Satan and his demons work tirelessly against us. Of course, belief in the devil's existence doesn't necessarily translate to belief in what he's all about. I suspect a lot of these folks picture the devil as a hapless Elmer Fudd in a red little-devil suit with a rubber pitchfork and fake horns, rather than a fallen archangel who hates God and whose ultimate goal is to turn us against Him.

Now for the not-so-good news. The Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate, at Georgetown University, reports that only 57% of Catholics believe in the Real Presence. And since only 24% of Americans are Catholic, I suppose that works out to only about 14% of Americans believe in the Real Presence. Ouch.

Ironically, Satan desperately would like us to forget both him and God; and God both desires fervently that we believe and turn to him through the Source and Summit of our faith, and that we recognize the danger of the devil in our lives.

Kneeling during Mass, we recite the words that profoundly express this faith: "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but ONLY SAY THE WORD and I shall be healed."




3 comments:

J. Thorp said...

I find myself believing more and more in Satan's existence every day. In fact, today on the way to work an unbidden, unmentionable thought crossed my head so suddenly that I said aloud, "Get away from me, Satan!"

You know what? The thought was so far gone in that instant that I don't remember what it was now!

Joshua 24:15 said...

I would recommend getting "In Conversation with God," by Fr. Francis Fernandez-- reflections for each day of the year, especially geared toward practicing your faith in everyday life. Reading for First Monday of Lent speaks directly about the real existence of Satan, and about the real existence of Guardian Angels. You can just as readily call for help from your Angel. We must remember that neither the devil nor our angels are quaint, simple constructs but actual creatures, both dedicated fully to their respective purposes.

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

OH YES! My angel is powerful and I call on him almost daily. Also, there are people in my family who are SUPPOSED to be "Catholic" but always seem to doubt the existence of the Devil "how could God create something to be so evil?" etc.. It really frightens me that that person is so blind. They are JUST the people that Satan uses first.